1.2 Physical distancing
On 15 March 2020, Kazakhstan declared a state of emergency and first public health and social measures (ban on all public events, suspension of shopping, closure of entertainment facilities, national exit and entry restrictions) were implemented on 16 March 2020. According to Decree of the President "On introduction of the state of emergency in the Republic of Kazakhstan", restrictions on the functioning of large shopping facilities were introduced, and the activities of shopping and entertainment centres, cinemas, theatres, exhibitions and other facilities with large crowds of people were suspended. Entry into the territory of the Republic of Kazakhstan, as well as exit from its territory by all means of transport with certain exceptions, is prohibited, as well as family and memorable events.
On 27-Apr-20, the government extended the state of emergency until 11-May-20.
The following social distancing measures were taken to curb the spread of the epidemic:
• 12-Mar-20: Kazakh President Qasym-Jomart Toqayev has decided to cancel the parade in commemoration of the 75th anniversary of the Victory Day on May 9.
• 16-Mar-20: For the duration of the state of emergency, the activity of shopping and entertainment centers, cinemas, theaters, exhibitions and other objects with a large crowd of people is suspended nationwide.
• 16-Mar-20: For the duration of the state of emergency, the function of large trading facilities is limited nationwide. It is also forbidden to conduct entertainment, sports and other public events, as well as family, commemorative events.
• 21-Mar-20: All parks are closed in Almaty.
• 23-Mar-20: Shopping and entertainment are closed in the quarantined cities - Nur-Sultan and Almaty. In all other cities, they are allowed to open until six in the evening.
• 26-Mar-20: Only food stores and pharmacies will operate in Almaty. All activities of all non-food retail facilities are suspended.
• 28-Mar-20: The city also suspended the activity of the airport, railway and bus stations, and kindergartens. A ban was placed on entry and exit on the territory of the city of Shymkent from 21:00 to 07:00, public catering facilities public transport was also limited
• 30-Mar-20: In Nur-Sultan and Almaty, the activities of all enterprises and organizations were suspended, regardless of ownership, with the exception of central government bodies, mayors, law enforcement agencies, healthcare organizations, the media, grocery stores, pharmacies and life support organizations
• 30-Apr-20: Almaty residents are asked to postpone weddings
In addition to the measures directed at the general population, additional measures were directed at specific population groups. An algorithm was adopted for strengthening the sanitary and disinfection regime in medical and social facilities (e.g. homes for older people, people with disabilities, or children). The following activities are envisaged:
1. Prohibit relatives from visiting patients, use mobile communication and other electronic communication systems for communication.
2. Organize maximum security and safety at facilities until the quarantine is over.
3. Provide means of individual protection for social workers serving older people and people with disabilities at home. Provide them with vehicles to visit them at home.
4. Carry out mass express testing of all patients and, mandatorily, employees of the organizations themselves for coronavirus.
5. During the quarantine of COVID 19 provide medical supervision of patients and staff with the survey of the condition and thermometry at least 3 times a day with registration in paper or electronic media.
6. Provide at least 2 beds for temporary isolation of patients (personnel) with revealed symptoms (fever, sore throat, sickness, cough, shortness of breath, etc.). The mode of operation of the isolator should correspond to the mode of operation of an infectious disease hospital.
7. For newly admitted patients to medical and social institutions, allocate a separate ward (or isolation ward) with a stay of up to 14 days with a state and thermometry survey at least 3 times a day with paper or electronic registration.
8. Newly admitted patients shall be admitted to medical and social institutions with a negative result of laboratory examination on COVID-19.
9. Avoid admitting staff with symptoms of respiratory infections (fever, sore throat, sickness, cough, shortness of breath, etc.), in case of symptoms in patients, immediately place in the isolation ward with a call for a physician adviser.
10. If the patient shows signs of ODS (pneumonia) with a positive result of rapid testing for COVID-19, transport to an infectious disease hospital is carried out by an ambulance team on COVID-19.
11. In case of detection and isolation of a patient or a person in contact with COVID 19, the final disinfection is carried out with the involvement of specialized organizations, in accordance with Annex 3 to this decree.
1) Bus intercity traffic is suspended.
2) Sporting events, exhibitions, forums, conferences, as well as family and memorable events (banquets, weddings, anniversaries, memorial services), including at home and other events with mass public gatherings are temporarily prohibited;
3) Activities of trading and entertainment centres, trading houses, and retail chains (food supermarkets and drugstores are exceptions) located there are suspended;
4) Activities of entertainment establishments, such as karaoke, billiards, computer clubs, nightclubs, bowling centres, amusement rides, children's playgrounds, trampolines and cinemas are suspended;
5) Activities of all cultural objects (theatres, cinemas, concert halls, museums, exhibitions, etc.) are suspended;
6) Activities of religious objects (mosques, churches, cathedrals, synagogues, etc.) are suspended;
(7) Activities of children's health camps, children's pre-school institutions, children's correction rooms, educational centres, children's development centres, circles, courses for children and adults are suspended;
8) Activities of food courts and banquet halls are suspended;
9) Activities of spa centres, gyms, fitness centres, sports and health centres, swimming pools, public baths, saunas, beauty salons, hairdressing salons, centres and salons providing cosmetological services, manicure and pedicure services, city and public beaches, open water parks are suspended;
10) Activities of indoor food and non-food markets are suspended;
11) Movement of people over 65 years of age and in groups over 3 people are restricted;
12) Limitation of public transport movement is introduced.
1) Wearing protective masks is mandatory for:
- all persons in closed premises (pharmacy, shop, office, medical organization, public service organization and others), as well as in transport and on the street;
- healthy persons when assisting a person with suspected COVID-19;
- persons who have respiratory symptoms (fever, cough, sneezing).
2) Wearing protective masks for the public outdoor is recommended.
3) All persons must maintain a social distance of at least 1.5 meters in public places.
- Combined offline and online education is allowed for graduating classes (grades 9, 11 (12): 70% of subjects in regular or offline mode, 30% in distance learning (online);
- Full-time offline education for students of the first grade is permitted in colleges and universities from the second semester (January 2021)
• 29-Apr-20: The government approved a list of business activities that will be allowed to operate again from 04-May-20 nationwide. The list includes all non-food shops with a sales area of less than 150 square meters until 5pm, photo shops, flower stalls and hairdressers, dental clinics and medical centers by appointment only, as well as a number of other services
• ▪29-Apr-20: In the Almaty region, some of the quarantine measures were eased. A ban was lifted on the movement of people, public and private vehicles bound for gardening societies, summer cottages with permission to move between 05:00 and 20:00 hours and if there are supporting documents. People are allowed to walk inside courtyards and playgrounds from 09:00 to 20:00 hours. At the same time, residents of the region need to exclude handshakes, maintain a distance of at least two meters between people, wear medical masks and use antiseptics
• 01-May-20: Air service between the capital and Almaty resumed. In addition, a number of flights will resume in Kazakhstan from May 4. At the capital’s airport, four specialists work in sanitary quarantine centers as shift doctors per shift. Their task is to conduct health checks on all incoming passengers, including thermometry, a primary (at the entrance to the airport) and secondary (in gates), as well as laboratory certificates for examination on COVID-19. A temporary detention center was opened, (in case of detection) where suspected cases will be taken
• 01-May-20: In the Aktobe region, it is allowed again to move freely on personal vehicles, as well as pedestrians from 6 in the morning to 20.00. Aktobe residents who travel to the country should return home before 20.00 hours, after 20.00 hours measures will be taken against those who violate the regime. In the courtyards of houses you can walk, play sports, but this is not a mass sport. Everywhere it is necessary to observe sanitary standards, walk in masks. It is necessary to engage in sports individually, no more than three people. On the street, too, more than three people cannot gather, people must walk around the city for a specific reason. Walking in parks and public places is prohibited
• 01-May-20: It is now possible to check the vehicle in the list of allowed to move through the quarantine zone using the Telegram bot
• 10-May-20: Entry and exit of citizens is allowed to work in organizations that have resumed their work after the cancellation of the state of emergency in the presence of a certificate from the place of work and registration of residence in the settlement at the place of work.
22-May-20: Grocery markets are allowed to work from 10-00 till 17-00 under strong sanitary disinfection rules . The operations of car dealerships, spare parts shops and service stations also start their work from 9-00 till 18-00. Renewal of the work of beauty salons, hairdressing salons, dry cleaners, laundries, repair of office equipment is allowed under the following conditions in compliance with sanitary and epidemiological requirements
• 22-May-20: free exit of the population from the places of residence with the obligatory wearing of a mask when 2 or more people walk together is allowed, with keeping a social distance;
• 22-May-20: visit to parks, squares, quays without entertainment facilities for groups of no more than 3 people or members of one family are allowed, with keeping a social distance
• 22-May-20: entering the yard (groups of no more than 3 people or members of one family) is allowed, with keeping a social distance;
• 22-May-20: entering/exiting between the regions of the Republic of Kazakhstan (flights) with mandatory compliance with the enhanced sanitary and disinfection regime and additional requirements established by the Chief State Sanitary Doctor on transport is allowed;
• 22-May-20: entering/exiting from a settlement to visit a dacha (country house) is allowed;
• 30-May-2020: the work of SPA centers, baths, saunas, swimming pools, beaches were resumed; facilities providing fitness services, sports complexes for the population were reopened; sanatorium-resort facilities, rest houses were reopened; operation of railway stations, bus stations and bus stations were resumed resumption; government gave permission to visit parks, squares and squares, quays without restrictions, in compliance with the social distance and mask regime.
• 27-Jul-2020: the free exit of the population is permitted from the places of residence with the obligatory wearing of a mask and keeping a social distance
-15-Aug-2020: suburban passenger train traffic has been suspended
15-Aug-2020: Quarantine measures were eased: Activities of trade centers, shopping and entertainment centers, non-food and food markets, beauty salons, hairdressing salons, spa centers, children's and adult educational centers, fitness centers and sports centers (without swimming pools), saunas (without swimming pools), individual and group outdoor training (not more than 5 people in a group); sports training for National Teams, club teams, public transport, movement of personal vehicles between regions; activity of state bodies (organizations, enterprises), activity of tourism objects and organizations in the sphere of providing services for living of population (hotels, rest homes, tourist bases, etc.), activities of pharmacies, business centers (insurance companies, lawyer, notary, accountant and consulting services, real estate agencies, advertising agencies, bailiffs, etc.), visiting parks, squares and other recreation areas are allowed according to Decree of the State sanitary doctor № 48 from 15/08/2020 in compliance with sanitary requirements.
28-Aug-2020: suburban passenger train traffic was restarted, cultural sites (with participation of no more than 30 people), libraries, and museums were reopened, as well as religious sites (mosques, churches, cathedrals, synagogues, etc.). Schools started to operate with 5 to 180 children, with the number of children in classes limited to up to 15 children.
Visiting specially protected natural areas (state national nature parks, reserves, etc.) was allowed for individuals and organized groups of no more than 15 people, with mask regime and a distance of at least 2 meters
Also, pool and gym activities were allowed by appointment with groups of no more than 5 people with more stricter measures on the weekends according to Decree of the State sanitary doctor № 50 from 28/08/2020 in compliance with sanitary requirements.
10-Sep-2020: It was decided that the educational process in schools would take place remotely. except in grades 1-4, where pupils are allowed to study in class with no more than 15 persons in the room.
14-Sep-2020: Religious objects were allowed to operate with some restrictions (https://primeminister.kz/ru/news/mezhvedomstvennoy-komissiey-prinyaty-resheniya-po-poslableniyu-raboty-obektov-biznesa-148429).
16-Sep-2020: The proportion of employees who should stay on remote work was decreased from 80% to 50%.
Open air cinemas and theatres are allowed to work in compliance with sanitary norms and with no more than 50 attendees .